You might be thinking, “Bill, has anyone really said that?” The answer is yes and you know what, that’s ok. Everyone has to begin at some point and you need to be ok with starting small, just don’t settle for where you are at.
I have traveled the country, visited more than 100 radio stations. I have sat in some of the most beautiful studios and in the back of garages. Let me encourage you with a few examples of how God has taken small ministries and done wonderful things with them over the years.
WORD FM: I’ll never forget Dave Kirby and I going to visit Dave Baker at WORD FM for their first fundraiser. The studios were in the back of a garage. Today many years later, they are a major player in the Northeast with wonderful studios.
WGCA: The first time I met Bruce he asked me if I wanted to go to the meat truck first. I had no earthly idea what he was talking about. We arrived and it was a meat truck trailer sitting under a tower in a corn field. The trailer still had the meat hooks hanging inside. Over the years WGCA has grown to be a great radio station, making a wonderful impact on their community and have amazing studios. As a matter of fact I am doing their fundraiser this Thursday and Friday.
WAY FM: I went to work for WAY FM in Fort Myers, their only station at the time. I remember Bob Augsburg telling me at times, don’t buy anything, we have no money. After more then two decades, WAY FM has grown to be a major network impacting the nation with beautiful studios in many cities.
WPER: For years Frankie and the gang have broadcasted out of a double wide trailer in Northern VA. They have been faithful and in the next few weeks are moving into their own 5,000 square foot building that is state of the art.
KLRC: I began working with Sean and the team 20 years ago. We started in what we called a big closet. It was so small, every time I turned around my butt cleaned the windows LOL. I watched them move out of that very small space, two rooms, to their own building on the campus of John Brown University. It was a very old building but it was a huge improvement. Just a couple of years ago, they moved off campus to one of the coolest studio’s I’ve ever seen, not to mention winning the station of the year a couple of times from CMB. All of that to say, they were faithful in the small things so God has given them more to work with. It didn’t happen over night, it’s been two decades. Sean was ok with being small but didn’t settle for where he was at and neither did his team.
I could continue to tell you story after story. All of the above began with very humble beginnings. They had to learn to be ok with that but not settle for where they were. Beyond that they needed a plan. Here are 5 tips that will help you get started.
- Define the vision of your radio ministry in writing.
- Put together a 1 year plan and a 5 year plan. If you want to go crazy, map out the next 10 years.
- Write down some baby steps you and your team can take. Some times we want to go from A-Z and become so overwhelmed because that simply isn’t possible, so we do nothing.
- Bring someone in from the outside to take a look at your organization and begin to coach you through the process. I don’t care who you are, outside coaching is something your station needs.
- Not least but last, build a team. Unless you actually are leading a team you’ll never make great strides. I love team building. I’m talking to a station about helping their staff become a team so they can do great things in the future.
Be ok with where you are, but don’t settle. As you begin the journey I think you’ll be surprised at what God will do for your station over the coming years. Be faithful to your calling and impact your community.
If you ever need help with your station, I would love to partner with you. Contact me.
- Why Do We Raise Money? - March 16, 2017
- Why You Need A Fundraising Coach! - March 16, 2017
- Why using listener stories won’t raise money - March 16, 2017
- I Hate Asking For Money - March 16, 2017
- HOW TO KEEP IT FRESH ON AIR DURING FUNDRAISING - March 16, 2017
- Top 10 Signs You Are At CMB - September 2, 2016
- Why You Need A Fundraising Coach - July 11, 2016
- Why You Need A Fundraising Coach - June 6, 2016
- The Journey Is Ready To Race With New Car - June 1, 2016
- What A Great JOY FM Video - May 26, 2016